Re: ADMIN: New Poll Question

Subject: Re: ADMIN: New Poll Question
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 08:24:12 -0500

I earlier commented that best practice in project management focuses on deliverables, not work process. That is, achieving goals good; micromanagement bad.

I'd like to add that, as others have said, the stuff I've learned through techwr-l was good for my employer. The company never felt they could spare either me (until they laid me off) or the money to send me to any sort of professional development course; yet they continually relied on me to have up-to-date understanding of new technologies and theories, to be able to troubleshoot anything, and to be able to execute projects using languages and techniques I had no prior exposure to. Guess how I was able to do all that.

I was lucky. Not only did nobody ever question the time I spent on techwr-l, but the company culture was such that continuous Internet access on everyone's part was _assumed_ to benefit the company both directly and indirectly. Obviously there are many companies--probably the majority of them--where that attitude hasn't permeated. I never heard of anyone being reprimanded for "wasting time online," although a few people were let go for not getting their work done on schedule.

Bruce wrote:

A number of people have said similar things, both on-list and privately.

One thing that I'm not clear on, however, and would like to ask the list
generally: Is saying that you're paid for results or that keeping up with the profession a rationale (meaning a line of logic that you have developed on your own)? Or is this reasoning accepted by whoever you report to?

Let me stress that I'm not condemning here; I'm simply asking.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com