Tech Writers are not Usability Experts by default

Subject: Tech Writers are not Usability Experts by default
From: TechComm Dood <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 10:21:33 -0500

Just a few notes on Geoff's self-proclaimed "crazy idea" from the
"evil Marketing" thread...

I read the snippet below in two ways... one way suggests that either
the tech writers OR the usability experts help the engineers, and the
other way (which I'm contesting) that the tech writers who ARE
usability experts help the engineers.

Technical Writers are not usability experts. Not by a long shot. Sure,
they can be, but generally tech writers are about as equally savvy in
usability as developers, marketeers, and garbage collectors.

But for the most part, your "crazy idea" is how we conduct project
cycles here. :-)

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 21:00:22 -0500, Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca> wrote:
> The techwhirlers (or usability experts) help the engineers to
> polish the interface ("measure thrice, cut once") so that the interface
> freezes right from the start; the developers then focus on the actual
> plumbing, and leave the interface alone so it can be documented.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com