Student questions

Subject: Student questions
From: "Stulic, Damjan D" <dds535s -at- smsu -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 00:05:45 -0600

Hi,
I am an undergraduate student currently enrolled in a beginning technical writing course. I am doing research on product manuals. Here are two issues that I need clarification on.

In recent years there is an obvious trend in print material to follow a web page layout and style. People, in general, are very familiar with the Internet and the layout of web pages. Printed material follows this trend with an increase in the number of graphic elements and an easy-to-find organizational style. How does this trend influence technical documentation? What are some specific implementations?

It is obvious that in a small business environment one person is responsible for the creation of technical documents. In the absence of support on projects like this it is easy to overlook and under/over estimate. How does one maintain objectiveness in evaluating effectiveness of designed documents?

I hope my questions are worthy of this listserv. Any response will be highly appreciated.
Thank you,
Damjan Stulic

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com