Re: Student questions

Subject: Re: Student questions
From: Keri Morgret <kerilists -at- morgret -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 21:18:14 -0800

Damjan, before answering your first question, I would look at your assumptions.

First assumption - people in general are familiar with the Internet and the layout of web pages. your peers who are also in a technically oriented course or degree may fit this, but that doesn't mean everyone is. How about the person who bags your groceries? How about the executive who has a secretary who prints out emails, marks up the paper, and has the secretary fax the answer handwritten on that printout? Or the retired grandmother who has had someone walk her through how to email her relatives, but knows nothing about a web browser?

Second assumption (I think I'm reading this correctly) - the web pages have an easy-to-find organizational style. Some sites may, but many sites are not well organized.

Do you have some examples of print material that follows a web page layout and style? If you're going to write about this, you'll need some examples to support this premise.

I wish you luck. It's an interesting idea, but I think your premise may need to be more explicitly justified before you can present a convincing argument. But that's just my two cents, ymmv.

Keri Morgret

At 10:05 PM 11/11/2004, Stulic, Damjan D wrote:

In recent years there is an obvious trend in print material to follow a web page layout and style. People, in general, are very familiar with the Internet and the layout of web pages. Printed material follows this trend with an increase in the number of graphic elements and an easy-to-find organizational style. How does this trend influence technical documentation? What are some specific implementations?

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com