Re: Usability Assessment: A Common Sense Activity

Subject: Re: Usability Assessment: A Common Sense Activity
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 13:23:22 -0800

If you are achieving your objectives (delivering product on-time
that meets its requirements), you will be presented to others by
your management as "being good," or an "expert," because what
they care about is results. If that woman in NYC had crossed
the finish line first and broken all the records, a running form that
looked like a duck and pacing techniques that ran counter to every
coach's training would not have prevented her from going down
in history as one of the race's "great runners." But it doesn't mean
that you'd want to emulate her start teaching her technique to others.
One thing a true "usability expert" can do (and I don't for one
moment claim to be one) is observe different peoples' methods of
accomplishing the same goal and determining which are using
methods that can be effectively emulated by others and which are
just flukes. A lot of the bad product that Bonnie mentioned is the
result of someone taking input from users as gospel.

Gene Kim-Eng