Re: Writing tests for Peoplesoft contract position?

Subject: Re: Writing tests for Peoplesoft contract position?
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 11:16:49 -0500

Wade Courtney wrote:

Speaking of google, what's the difference between doing a little
research about the contents of a test and an employer using goggle to
underhandedly find out information about a candidate.

Huh? Let me get this straight. A person makes public comments on a listserv or a newsgroup, knowing full well that such comments are going to be archived in perpetuity. An employer or prospective employer uses Google to research the person's public comments. So far I don't see a problem. Of course if the employer is dumb enough to take a single posting out of context and conclude that the person (a) is a lousy speller, (b) has a nasty disposition, or (c) hates tech writing, for example, then the employer is behaving badly.

Employers behave badly all the time. Dog bites man. Not news.

If you subscribe to the notion that two wrongs don't make a right, though, the fact that employers behave badly does not excuse doing so on your own account. If you cleave more closely to the notion that all's fair in love and war (or turnabout is fair play, if you prefer), then cheating the cheater is perfectly acceptable. I do understand that this is an ethic many people accept, whether or not I choose to.

I was just asking whether others shared my view. Several have written to me off list to say that they do, which is gratifying. And some of the folks who do not share my view have taken the time to respond on list, which is fine, too.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com