Re: Writing tests for Peoplesoft contract position?

Subject: Re: Writing tests for Peoplesoft contract position?
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 09:36:05 -0500

eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com wrote:

bounce-techwr-l-106467 -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com wrote on 11/17/2004 07:14:31 PM:

Am I the only one here who finds this request deeply offensive?

Seems to me you're guilty of offence theft.

Apparently not, as most respondents don't seem to be offended at all. I think the offense was mine to begin with and largely remains my own ;-(

I suppose you find a huge portion of the software industry offensive. Considering a large portion of available courses and instruction are all geared towards passing specific tests and certification exams.

Asked and answered. Courses and study guides are publicly available to anyone who chooses to avail themselves of them. They are not inside information.

Is everyone that picks up study guides for SAT and other standardised tests unethical or immoral? Are those that have prepared for interviews by reading the same books the interviewers use unethical or immoral?

As above.

Perhaps the side discussion can stop and someone who might have something helpful to provide the original poster might have a chance to respond without fear of being judged.

Let me put this in a different context, one where ethics are codified in law, as they are not in the present instance: "Hey, Bob, can you give me a heads up the day before your company announces it lost a big lawsuit? I wanna unload my stock before word gets out." So far, no crime. But if Bob follows through with the tip, we're both gonna go to jail.

While I can't comment on Peoplesoft or their testing procedures, I do wish the original poster the best of luck. If it is just a general test developed in-house, I wouldn't sweat the details. Just relax and be open-minded. Ask questions and discuss requirements with whomever is supervising the test. They're not your old school teacher, so there's no need to feel intimidated or to develop test anxiety.

And I agree completely with everything you said in that last paragraph, Eric.

Dick

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com