Re: Writing tests for Peoplesoft contract position?

Subject: Re: Writing tests for Peoplesoft contract position?
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 10:17:55 -0500

Dick Margulis wrote on 11/18/2004 09:36:05 AM:
> Apparently not, as most respondents don't seem to be
> offended at all. I> think the offense was mine to begin with and largely

> remains my own ;-(

Offense theft: Taking offense where none was offered. :)
Offense is NEVER yours. It is ALWAYS taken. <lol>

> Asked and answered. Courses and study guides are publicly
> available to anyone who chooses to avail themselves of them.
> They are not inside information.

NOT true. Many study guides are compilations of the responses from
requests such as the one that so offended you. Are the MSCE preparation
courses given by Microsoft? Are the SAT guides prepared and sold by those
responsible for SAT testing? How about all the "Coles notes" for various
courses, tests, and subjects? Are they prepared by those that are going to
test your knowledge on the same subjects? No.

> Let me put this in a different context, one where ethics
> are codified in law,

There's no law involved here. And the only people likely to get hurt are
the participants. The testee because they might not be prepared correctly
or because they're eliminated for some obscure whim of the test, or the
tester who IMO deserves to get burned if their test is so untargeted and
irrelevant that it tests the wrong things (such as writing or editing in a
vacuum when the company touts "teamwork" during the interview, or
expecting detailed knowledge without access to SMEs).

> And I agree completely with everything you said in that last paragraph,
> Eric.

At least we agree on something. ;)

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer