Re: Use of Google to check out candidates

Subject: Re: Use of Google to check out candidates
From: John Fleming <johntwrl -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 22:49:42 -0700

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 11:12:25 -0500, while chained to a desk in the
scriptorium, DGoldstein -at- DeusTech -dot- com ("Goldstein, Dan") wrote:

> $I see nothing underhanded about it. Before I interviewed with my current
> $company, I checked them out on Google, and I would expect them to do the
> $same about me. Much can be gleaned from the Web about my professional
> $experience and opinions, and I consider it to be public information.

Agreed.

Keeping that little detail in mind, it makes sense to ensure that what
we post to groups like this is the kind of stuff that helps build the
image we want to have.

with a computer.

Rather than complain about this allowing emplyers to be "underhanded",
why not incorporate this into our "marketing plans"? Use it to help
build our images as professionals someone would want to have on their
teams?

John Fleming
Technical Writer
Edmonton, Alberta