Re: Use of Google to check out candidates

Subject: Re: Use of Google to check out candidates
From: Chuck Martin <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 11:16:17 -0800

Goldstein, Dan wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Wade Courtney
Speaking of google, what's the difference between doing a little
research about the contents of a test and an employer using goggle to
underhandedly find out information about a candidate.

I see nothing underhanded about it. Before I interviewed with my current
company, I checked them out on Google, and I would expect them to do the
same about me. Much can be gleaned from the Web about my professional
experience and opinions, and I consider it to be public information.

Among the people/names that *aren't* me when I search my name in Google is a link to a porn star with my name. Even though it's not me, do you think that such a result appearing in a search has dissuaded potential employers who have performed such searches?

OTOH, "I" am also a journalist writng a column on technology and an author writing books on technology. And an assistant basketball coach.

Chuck Martin
User Assistance & Experience Engineer
twriter "at" sonic "dot" net www.writeforyou.com

"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me.
The day may come when the courage of Men fail, when we forsake our
friends and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day!
This day, we fight!"
- Aragorn

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
- Gandalf

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com