Colored Code

Subject: Colored Code
From: beverly_robinson -at- datacard -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:38:40 -0600

Sorry to re-open this subject, but I didn't get around to reading Friday's
digest until this (Monday) morning.

A couple of years ago I inherited a documentation set that had color
applied to examples. I removed the color on the grounds that:

1) In most cases, the examples were also supplied with the SDK and users
could pull up the files in their IDE to see the color coding.
2) It introduced opportunities for error, especially if the samples were to
change at the last minute.
3) It would keep me from making document improvements that had higher
value.

In addition to my day job, I'm a night school programming student. None of
the textbooks or reference books I can lay my hands on use colored text for
comments, reserved words, etc. Most of them rely on a different (usually
mono-spaced) typeface to designate code. Others have pointed you to online
examples.

Hope some of this helps,

Beverly

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com