Re: Request: Info about nontraditional roles

Subject: Re: Request: Info about nontraditional roles
From: TechComm Dood <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 10:30:17 -0500

In my 9+ years working in technical writing and previous 4 years
studying it, I have never known UI design, usability studies, and
project management to be "nontraditional" roles for a technical
communicator.

These roles have ALWAYS been a part of what I do and what I learned to
do, so I cannot consider them to be nontraditional. I'd argue the flip
side, and suggest a tech writer who does not even participate in these
things is "behind the times".

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 08:16:38 -0600, Larry Kunz <larry -dot- kunz -at- veritas -dot- com> wrote:

> Several people have asked what I mean by "nontraditional roles." I mean
> work that's not directly related to what has traditionally been thought
> of as "technical communication": documentation, online help, training
> materials, and so forth. Examples of traditional roles are writing,
> editing, information design, and creating technical art.
>
> Examples of nontraditional roles are user-interface design, planning and
> executing usability tests, and managing projects.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com