Re: Help Files

Subject: Re: Help Files
From: TechComm Dood <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 10:40:23 -0500

Users like to not have to use online Help. Period.

But since they have to, they generally like to get the info they need
as easily and as quickly as possible and get right back to their work.

Can't provide you with any more detail than that, as each product,
market, and user profile will suggest different solutions.

And you should never focus on giving users what they *want* unless
they're willing to throw tons of money at you. Give them what they
*need*. Most times people can't tell you what they *need*, but only
what they *want*... it's up to YOU to determine the *need* based on
their interaction with the product.

Gee, I smell the rebirth of the usability thread. ;-)

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 07:30:58 -0800 (PST), A.H. <isaac840 -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

> What are some common suggestions from users that you
> get when creating a help file for an application? What
> do users like to see? What do they hate? Do they even
> know what they like?

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com