Re: Double Quotation Marks to Single Quotation Marks - Relaxing the Standard?

Subject: Re: Double Quotation Marks to Single Quotation Marks - Relaxing the Standard?
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 09:15:26 -0500

mshepp10 -at- cox -dot- net wrote:

What’s the thinking these days on single quotation marks (‘’) instead of
double (“”)? I’ve always written and edited to the American standard that
single quotation marks are used around a quotation within a quotation –
the exceptions being British usage and individual words or letters in
linguistics, philosophy, and theology. Single quotation marks are popping
up everywhere nowadays, although CMS, AP, Bartleby, and more still stand
firm. I have looked long and hard in the literature for something –
anything – to assist me in moving past my purist thinking. The only
explanations I can come up with are that the apostrophe is easier to type,
takes up less space, and perhaps indicates a more informal style.

We’ve written our department style guide to support double quotation
marks, but perhaps we need to relax these standards to reflect current
usage. I’m curious to hear from my fellow TECHWR-Lers.

My opinion: Continue personing the barricade on this one. If you give an inch, the scare quote addicts will take a mile and pages will look like someone sprinkled poppy seeds on them. Stand firm!

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com