Re: T.W. Background

Subject: Re: T.W. Background
From: "Phillip St. James" <saint0 -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 10:20:06 -0800

I've been a tech writer for 20 years.

I studied undergrad business and computer science in college and
communication (documentary film making and video broadcast production) in my
master's work. I couldn't find work in marketing in the early 80s (I'm an
African American mixed race male and there was a recession at the time in
California) or in the film industry (there hadn't been a Spike Lee yet).

In short, I couldn't find a job in my chosen fields and I had educational
loans, rent, and bills to pay.

I very much liked tech writing and still do. But I wish I had been given
the chance to work and grow in the fields I loved most and was best prepared
for when I was younger and a little more bright eyed.

There were no courses or college programs in tech writing in the early
80s... So, we had to do our work in Silicon Valley by the seat of our
pants... By the way, the next generation of tech writers here in Silicon
Valley often looked down on first generation tech writers and seldom hire
us. Go figure.

-phillip
Palo Alto
(Yes, I'm out of work...)

on 12/3/04 9:49 AM, A.H. at isaac840 -at- yahoo -dot- com wrote:

> Hello, all,
>
> I was just wondering about your backgrounds and
> training in T.W.
>
> I have a few questions:
>
> Where did you go to school?
> What was your major?