RE: landing the first job

Subject: RE: landing the first job
From: "Neumann, Eileen" <ENeuman -at- franklintempleton -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 11:19:24 -0500

Hi Lisa,

I got my first job in the business / financial sector. I did have some online documentation skills, but no specialized technical knowledge. You could try getting work as a business writer. A few advertise for technical writers, but also search under procedures, usability, communications, marketing, report writing, proposal writing. A drawback of business jobs I've had has been that the writing department is sometimes a bit of an afterthought, and sometimes staffed with people with no communications training, but with experience in the company. Still, they got me the all important two years' experience.

Good luck,
Eileen Neumann

Hey all,
I'm new to this, so sorry if this has previously been
talked about.
I am a senior at Iowa State University majoring in
rhetoric and professional communication with a minor
in technical communication. It is now time for me to
begin applying for jobs and I really don't know where
to begin. I started off looking into the techical
writing area, but my main focus is writing, as my
technical skills are not that great. I do have
knowledge and skill in producing, designing and
editing business documents, such as manuals, guides,
brochures and newsletters, but it seems as if a
technical writers job is much more than that. I'm
wondering if anyone can help direct me in an area to
begin my career. Should I look at copyediting jobs, or
should I continue my search in technical writing? Or
is there a different area that would suit me? I open
for suggestions and would appreciate any help.
Thank you,
Lisa Spencer

Notice: All email and instant messages (including attachments) sent to or from Franklin Templeton Investments (FTI) personnel may be retained, monitored and/or reviewed by FTI and its agents, or authorized law enforcement personnel, without further notice or consent.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com