Re: landing the first job

Subject: Re: landing the first job
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 10:08:45 -0800

Getting your foot in the door in the current hiring market is
the #1 consideration. Right now I know experienced tech
writers with years of technical experience who are taking
copyediting jobs just to stay active. While I wouldn't say
that you have no chance at landing a technical writing job
your first time out, you will most likely be competing with
many of these more experienced writers for every one that
you go after. So in your position I would widen the range
of targeted jobs as much as possible.

Gene Kim-Eng