RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question - OoO

Subject: RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question - OoO
From: "Doug Grossman" <Doug -dot- Grossman -at- sas -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 13:49:58 -0500

Again, just because someone uses a computer all day in their job, this does *not* mean that they necessarily need to know Word, Frame, or anything else inside and out. Maybe all they need to do is use blank Word docs to create letters every once in awhile. This does not make them dumb; it only points up the fact that they may not have any *need* to know any computer software at a detailed level.......and yet, they still use computers all day long, and can still hold on to their jobs. Further, believe it or not, they may still have a need/desire to be on mailing lists, and not have any specific need other than that to use an out-of-office auto-reply.

As to your second point, not only was I not "dumbing anyone down;" I was actually writing something to the contrary. One does not have to be computer-proficient to be considered an intelligent, viable, non-redundancy-inducing member of society. Saying otherwise is similar to saying that anyone who did not have the opportunity to attend a four-year university is less intelligent than those of us who have; it's simply not true. Some of the most intelligent people I've ever met never attended a day of college, and some of the most weak-minded people I've met have high-level degrees.

Not everyone *wants* to know lots about computers, and not everyone *wants* to go to college for four years. The previous posts have made the assumption that doing these things is the only way to go if one is to have meaning in one's life.