RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question - OoO

Subject: RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question - OoO
From: "Doug Grossman" <Doug -dot- Grossman -at- sas -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 14:05:46 -0500

I respectfully submit that it may be time to take this off-list after this, if you want to. Judging from the response, I don't think a lot of others are interested in this mini-fray.

Look, I consider myself to be a computer professional. I work for a software firm, I use many different pieces of software all day long, and definitely know more than the average man on the street. All I'm saying is that I don't consider any or all of these things to be pre-requisites for being on this list, and that I don't believe that everybody on this list falls into these categories. (Further, I don't consider folks that don't fall into these categories to be in any way dumb.) For example, I know that there are people out there who document instruction manuals for farm machinery, and they may do so in very (or at least relatively) rudimentary ways. They may have a need and/or desire to be on this list, but may not have any other specific reason for using OOTO responses.

I never disagreed that people on these lists should use auto-responses; I only disagreed that it is a valid assumption that everyone on this list would have any reason (other than the fact that they are on this list) to know how to do so.