Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question - OoO

Subject: Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question - OoO
From: "T.W. Smith" <techwordsmith -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 14:09:34 -0500

Okay, I didn't mean to start this "computer professional" debate. I'm
confused that this even came up ... but here we are.

So, for the record, let me define a "computer professional" as a
member of this list AND who is also a technical writer AND who also
uses computer software to create their technical documentation.

Thus, if you are a member of this list AND a technical writer BUT use
a chisel and hammer to create your technical documentation, then you
do not meet my definition.

However, if you are a member of this list AND a technical writer AND
use Microsoft Word to write about hardware NOT software, then I am
including you in my definition of a computer professional.

That being said, I said I expected computer professionals to not send
OOO messages to professional lists. I was wrong. I expect ALL USERS of
the Techwr-l list to not send OOO messages to professional lists.

By "ALL USERS of the Techwr-l list" I mean anyone subscribed to the
subscription status (i.e., if your subscription is set to NOMAIL, or
Digest, etc., I still expect you to not send OOO messages to
professional lists).

Good?

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 10:55:29 -0800, Wade Courtney
<wade -dot- courtney -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

> > Again, just because someone uses a computer all day in their job, this does *not* mean that they necessarily need to know Word, Frame, or anything else inside and out. Maybe all they need to do is use blank Word docs to create letters every once in awhile.
>
> Then why would they be on *this* list in the first place and if they
> are not, then why are we having this discussion. We are talking about
> configuring email lists so as not to annoy the other 2000 subscribers
> with "I'll be out of the office getting hammered on tequila"
> messages. As far as I know we're talking about people who write
> technical documentation and whatnot.

======
T.

Remember, this is online. Take everything with a mine of salt and a grin.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com