RE: expanding our range and reference books

Subject: RE: expanding our range and reference books
From: "Kathy Underwood" <Kathy -dot- Underwood -at- sas -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 09:56:29 -0500

I like JoAnn's book for several reasons, but foremost among them is her adaptation of the organizational maturity model (which has been around for a while in biz circles) for pubs groups. This is in Chapter 3, "A Process Maturity Model for Publications Organizations." Her 5-level (well, really 6-level) scale goes from "oblivious" to "managed and sustainable" to "optimizing." She talks at length about how an organization can move from one level to the next. This is a well-developed presentation.

Other ref books I use:

Chicago MoS
Microsoft MoS, 3rd ed.
Webster's 11th
Claire Kehrwald Cook's Line by Line
Wilkinson's Scientist's Handbook for Writing Papers & Dissertations
Carolyn Rude's Technical Editing
Garner's Dictionary of Modern Usage
Fowler's Modern English Usage
Words into Type
CBE Manual for Authors, Editors, and Publishers
Columbia Guide to Online Style
Roget's Thesaurus (& definitely NOT the loathsome Roget's II)

I've also got lots of usability titles.