Re: Re to temporary/contract work and worried about the future

Subject: Re: Re to temporary/contract work and worried about the future
From: "Phillip St. James" <saint0 -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 11:46:19 -0800

Quite the contrary, young man. You are a splendid fit for many openings now
and over the next 10 years -- if you can stay the course. Young, talented
tech writers are in high demand all over the country. Look into
instructional design and communication policies and procedures writing as
well.

My problem could be that of being "over" experienced. We are still in the
midst of a downturn in high tech and an off-shoring movement of jobs to
cheaper markets. Rightly or wrongly, I'm perhaps often perceived as being
too expensive or saddled with pre-existing, seemingly irrelevant knowledge.

Add to that the fact that when the downturn occurred, those in tech pubs who
were kept on in most firms were often not the most well-paid or most
experienced. These folks are now the gatekeepers and are not yet in a
position/disposition to hire folks who probably are more expensive and more
skilled than themselves. They naturally want to keep their jobs and protect
their newfound positioning.

You don't have that problem - yet!

Onward and upward and hang in there... You'll do fine, Anthony,

-phillip

on 12/8/04 11:07 AM, A.H. at isaac840 -at- yahoo -dot- com wrote:

> Hello, all,
>
> I've read the responses to Phillip St. James's post.
> Wow. I'm an undergrad studying tech. comm. Is there
> any chance that I'll get a job in tech.comm. when I
> graduate? If guys like Phillip are having a hard time,
> I must be dead in the water already.
>
> Thanks,
> Anthony Hernandez

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com