Re: tools: RoboHelp X5 vs WebWorks Publisher for Word

Subject: Re: tools: RoboHelp X5 vs WebWorks Publisher for Word
From: "Janet Swisher" <swisher -at- enthought -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 12:00:14 -0600

Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net> wrote:

> But, getting back to what you are asking for, if you want people of
> various levels of skill to be able to add material to your intranet
> without the intervention of a human editor, my first choice is giving
> them Web forms to fill in, with their submitted form entries added to a
> database in such a way that new Web pages are generated from them and
> linked as appropriate to their departments and what-not. This entail a
> modest amount of Web programming, but it is not inordinately difficult
> to implement.

> In your situation, you would probably want to include an authorization
> check to ensure that only specific individuals could add pages on behalf
> of a given department.
>
> The advantage of a system like this is that anybody can type into a
> form
> on a Web page, and there is no way they can break the site.

Plone is a content-management system that can do what Dick describes. It is
open-source, and runs on top of the Zope application server.
See http://www.plone.org/

It allows users to create content, either by typing in a web interface, or
by uploading files from their HTML editor or choice (which could be Word).
It supports a publication workflow model, and has a flexible security
framework that allows you to be as open or as stringent as you desire.

If you wanted to provide canned templates, you could define them as new
"content types" in Plone.

Also, Plone uses CSS throughout, so changing the look and feel is
straightforward.

HTH,
Janet

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com