Re: Technical Documentation using Excel

Subject: Re: Technical Documentation using Excel
From: "CB Casper" <knowone -at- surfy -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 23:10:11 -0800

We provide our customers with a table of systems
supported with which OS versions for each of our
many IO cards.

This table got to be quite complicated as we added
more information (Boot support, minimum firmware
required, etc.) and creating and maintaining such
a table in FrameMaker became very complicated. Some
writers were creating the table in Word as well
and having difficulty.

We pared down our deliverables to become web-only
and the HTML output for Word and Frame left a lot
to be desired. We switched to Excel as it provided
a lot more control on cells and borders, as well as
converting into a very nice HTML file.

Excel became the tool of choice as it was the
best suited to use to deliver the material to our
users.

From a plain using standpoint, it is common for
me to move material between Word, Notepad, FM, and
Excel to use the best features of each to achieve
the desired result. Each has it's strong and weak
points, and once you find them, use what suits the
situation.

CB - A spreadsheet kind of person at heart.
Word processor tools come and go, but spreadsheet
skills move easily between tools
--
http://www.surfy.net for Free Email <br> http://www.ergova.com for Low Prices on Hotels, Books, and more.