Re: Opinions requested regarding new web utility

Subject: Re: Opinions requested regarding new web utility
From: marijane -at- computer -dot- org
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 14:28:51 -0800 (PST)

Interesting wheel, Chris. Reminds me of the Visibone Color Lab.
(http://visibone.com/colorlab/big.html)

The adjacent colors feature is cool, but I'm not sure it would help me
choose a scheme. I think my personal sense of taste doesn't agree that
the adjacent colors always make for a good-looking or usable color scheme.
Particularly on the saturated ring -- the adjacent colors were often too
subtly different from the colors I picked on that ring. That isn't as
much of an issue on the less-saturated rings, though.

I think it might be useful to also show the range of saturations within
the hue picked in the results. That might make it easier to pick colors
with good luminance contrast... I'm not sure that the adjacent colors
provide this. If you were picking a background color, for instance,
choosing a text color from the adjacent colors your tool provides may not
result in a very readable document.

Hope this helps,
Marijane

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com

Next by Author: Re: Typical screen resolution, these days (or, WHY IS CSS the way it is -- haven't we learned ANYTHING in ALL THESE YEARS no, guess we have not)?