Re: Typical screen resolution, these days (or, WHY IS CSS the way it is -- haven't we learned ANYTHING in ALL THESE YEARS no, guess we have not)?

Subject: Re: Typical screen resolution, these days (or, WHY IS CSS the way it is -- haven't we learned ANYTHING in ALL THESE YEARS no, guess we have not)?
From: marijane white <marijane -at- computer -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 00:32:05 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Emily Berk wrote:

> Hi All:

[snip]

> The reason this is pressing is that CSS is truly not accommodating of
> liquid screen sizes/resolutions. Pretty depressing really. CSS was
> obviously designed by aesthetic totalitarians (Style Nazis), I must say.
>
> So anyway, anyone know where I can find good data on the Web (i.e.,
> inexpensive but reliable) about who is using what resolution of monitor?
> I'm not interested in opt-in polls.

Why not create separate stylesheets for the most common resolutions, and
detect the user's resolution with some javascript to determine which one
to load?

I'm interested in learning more about your specific issues with CSS and
different resolutions. Which aspects are a problem? I've used CSS in the
past and haven't had any problems with scaling to different resolutions,
but my experience is limited, so I might be missing something.

Marijane White

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com