Re: Difficulties with Recruiter

Subject: Re: Difficulties with Recruiter
From: "Lisa A. Roth" <roth -dot- lisa -at- jimmy -dot- harvard -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 08:55:10 -0500

Not having dealt with recruiters much, I can only offer these ideas:

* I wonder if the fact that the writer being "pulled off the project" is a reflection of the only people they find to be "hungry enough" for them. Granted, I have no idea whether the person being pulled was even placed by that recruiter, it DOES make me wonder. While I can't be sure, the rush to get you in to interview and start work also possibly leans toward the idea that they're in a hurry to fix their own goof, but who knows. Maybe not!

* The mysteriousness of saying that the writer is "being pulled off the project" makes it sounds like a fair amount of clean-up duty is probably involved there, too, so I'd take that into account. Semantically speaking, someone "being pulled off a project" is very different from someone "being reassigned to other high-priority tasks" or "being transferred to another department." On the other hand, it's entirely possible (like someone else said) that the person being "pulled" is the company guru and is needed elsewhere.

* To tie in with another recent thread, maybe if things really ARE getting better, perhaps the recruiters won't continue to think that they have the luxury of behaving this way. It sounds to me as if they believe they're still in the driver's seat and that you need them FAR more than they need you. Obviously that's not the case, as you mentioned you're already swamped with contracts and have more on the way. Good for you.

I'd pass if I were you, considering it's not a make-or-break situation for you.

Michele Davis wrote:

Hello all,

I'm on contract right now but getting calls almost daily from recruiters. Today I received a phone call from a recruiter who pulled my resume off monster. He told me that they had a client that needed someone to start immediately b/c they had a writer onsite that they would be pulling from the project. I didn't ask why, and the why was not offered. I told him I was on contract until at least January, and then probably on call for edits during January, so I'd need some flexibility. We talked money. He said he'd have to call the account rep. to make sure my asking price was fine with the client.

<SNIP>
Michele

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com