Re: Seeking counsel - yet another difficult work situation

Subject: Re: Seeking counsel - yet another difficult work situation
From: Chuck Martin <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 11:16:08 -0800

Robyn Richards wrote:
<snip>

There's the rub. Not only is it impossible to plan (requirements change on a daily basis, sometimes several times a day), any requests to even discuss a process are ignored. I once requested that development changes be forwarded to me by email and told I was being 'harsh' - this despite the fact that in order to collect the infomration I needed, I would have to get a new build of a product daily and search for each change manually myself. This presumably was not 'harsh'.

Don't let them bully you or back you off with such statements. You have a job to do to.

"I'm sorry you feel that my request is 'harsh.' This is imformation that I need to do my job right. You and I both know that the main goal here is to make sure we release the best products possible, and for me, as a part of this team, that's one of the things that I need so that I can achive my part of this goal."

Or something to that effect, hopefully in front of others who would find it difficult to disagree with that stance.

Gentle persistence, as annoying as it can be, is called for too. Every time a change is pushed through without going through the proper change procedure, bring that up, and remind the folks involved that the procedures are there to make sure everyone involved gets the correct, up-to-date information.

And make solid documentation plans, ones that put names of specific people in the review schedule, and then have those people sign off on the doc plans.

Chuck Martin
User Assistance & Experience Engineer
twriter "at" sonic "dot" net www.writeforyou.com

"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me.
The day may come when the courage of Men fail, when we forsake our
friends and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day!
This day, we fight!"
- Aragorn

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
- Gandalf

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com