RE: Desperate Word 2000 Index/SEQ field prob

Subject: RE: Desperate Word 2000 Index/SEQ field prob
From: "Jonathan West" <jwest -at- mvps -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 14:14:02 -0000

> You said you tried it with a single file, correct? It occurred to me last
> night - I wonder if my problem is that I'm using multiple files for the
> index. But darnit, the TOC field is smart enough to figure this out, why
> not the Index field? Ugh.

I checked splitting it into 2 files, and it still worked.

The file containing the TOC field contains the RD fields telling the TOC
which files to reference. The file containing the INDEX field also needs to
include a set of RD fields. Do you have them?

Also, can you tell me the *exact* code of the INDEX field?

> > One other question that might spark a bit of a debate. Why are you using
> > chapter-based numbering in the first place? ....
>
> You bring up many good points, but unfortunately I'm mandated by a set of
> standards to use chapter-based numbering, and it's not within my power to
> change those standards.

It might still be worth mentioning to someone. Standards should be there to
ensure that things are done well. If they ensure that things are done badly,
then they should be scrapped to changed. I accept that you probably don't
have the power to do that yourself, but that doesn't mean the organisation
should be stuck with bad practices for ever just because they are written
down in standards.

Regards
Jonathan West

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com