RE: Estimation of the number of pages to be written per day

Subject: RE: Estimation of the number of pages to be written per day
From: "Pat Renaud" <prenaud -at- bluehouse -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 10:02:40 -0500

When I get a comment like that I usually reply, "It is very difficult to
make things simple".

Patricia Renaud

> Unfortunately, more than once, the response that I got
> from a manager was essentially, "This is so simple and
> straightforward, I don't see why it took you so long."

Join the club.

> Believe me TechComm Dood, the pain of such an
> experience - of basically being punished for doing
> good - is not something a one soon forgets. So, I
> speak from more than hearsay.

Pain? So how do you handle these situations? If I get a response out of
someone like that, I consider that a triumph! If they don't get it, well,
that's their problem. By the time something becomes so useful, usually
enough people have been involved to vouch for your time and effort in
creating such a tight masterpiece!

> Managers do not strive for high page counts, but most
> often they do not recognize what an acheivment simple, straightforward
> tech comm is. TWs often strive for high page counts to impress and
> avoid punishment.

There you go with generalizations again. Maybe this is what causes your
"pain"?

For the record, I'm a manager, and I think your reasoning is highly flawed.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com