RE: Intra-folder renaming tools, anyone?

Subject: RE: Intra-folder renaming tools, anyone?
From: Paul Goble <pg -at- pgcommunication -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 15:23:44 -0700

"Broberg, Mats" <mabr -at- flir -dot- se> wrote:

> I forgot to say that I need to be able to save a text file from the
> renaming application specifying both the old and the new filename.
> Apart from that, this SW would have worked fine.

THE Rename can do this, and it's completely free.

http://www.herve-thouzard.com/modules/wfsection/article.php?articleid=1

It can save a report in text or HTML format, before or after you do
the renaming.

It'll add a counter on the left or on the right side of the prefix or of
the extension, incremented by any amount you choose, with an arbitrary
number of digits in decimal, octal, binary, Roman numerals ... well, you
get the idea.

Note: All of this power comes at the price of usability. Features are
scattered between the menus, the toolbar, and the tabs in the main
window. So in your case, you might use the Naming Rules tab to specify
the numbering rules, the Run menu to enable recursion through
subfolders, the file name pane to select all of the files (Ctrl-A), any
of several menus to get a report, then the tiny blue triangle icon on
the toolbar to perform the rename.

Paul
pg -at- pgcommunication -dot- com

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com