Multi-purpose / Single source

Subject: Multi-purpose / Single source
From: Thomas -dot- Burke -at- bbc -dot- co -dot- uk
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 05:28:53 -0700

Firstly;
Happy New Year to all, I hope 2005 brings you success, happiness and good
health.

Secondly;
Apologies if this has been covered before, I could not find an adequate
thread / answer.

So, here goes.

I am creating a complete doc. set for a product new to market. This will
include: Sys Admin, Install and Maintenance, User (task based) Guides,
Marketing collateral, tech spec. flyers, release notes, function specs and
last but not least Online Context sensitive help.

I am currently using, MSWord (I know that this is not ideal - but it is
the tool I was provided with), Paint Shop Pro 7 (quite graphic intensive),
Robohelp - for the help and Acrobat 6 for PDF creation / manipulation.

The product AND the doc.s require rebranding for some major customers
(resellers).

What I hope the great Tech. Author community can tell me is:

Is FrameMaker the best tool for this?

What version?

Will, the setting of conditional text (and I assume that includes
graphics) enable me to write 'One' doc and repurpose it for the differing
information levels required for each part of the doc. set?

Will, the conditional text enable quick rebranding?

How does conditional text affect frame -> Robohelp help creation?

Am I thinking about this in the correct way?

Is there an easier methodology?

etc?
etc?

Thank you in advance for any /all your responses.

Regards,
Tom

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com