Re: Multi-purpose / Single source

Subject: Re: Multi-purpose / Single source
From: Thomas -dot- Burke -at- bbc -dot- co -dot- uk
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 09:55:53 -0700

More Info:

Further to several kind responses, I am adding extra information regarding
my situation. I hope this will help clarify what I am trying to achieve.
Again, thank you all for your advice - suggestions in advance.
Really, ALL responses are gratefully received.

I envisage one doc - the parent - that has everything in it,
Then a - child - 'techie marketing' doc that will be the Chp Heading and
Headings 1 & 2 (with the relevant text)
Then a marketing doc - child - i.e. a product description with Chp and Hdg
1 (with accompanying text)
Then a Sys Admin Guide - child - that will include whole of Chp 1,2 6 and
7.
Then a Build / Install guide that will be reused / rebranded for each
customer. This guide will have, essentially the Sys Admin guide and a few
customised chps that reflect the actual site config.
And so on.

The plan at the moment is that on delivery of release 1 there will be upto
5 versions (incurring changes to the branding / logos / images /diagrams
/screenshots /etc)
AND an individual site Build / Installation Guide.
Once, that is out of the way then quarterly releases / upgrades are
planned.

I am the sole author, I decide what/where/how the information is presented
- factual content is provided by SME's

The published docs will be mainly PDF some will be print - help will be
html/chm.

All doc.s will be the same (except for branding) the exception being the
Build / Install guide that will be site specific.
When I say rebranding - I am referring to all graphics, logos, product
names, etc being interchangeable - dependent on the customer requirements
- I really hope I don't have to produce different layouts!

There is a strong possibility that different languages may be used in
future - however, it is currently envisaged that I will supply a
'complete' doc set to the translators.

I am planning on producing the help from Frame to Robohelp what are the
issues I should be aware of?

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com