In defense of Word (Was: Multi-purpose, single source)

Subject: In defense of Word (Was: Multi-purpose, single source)
From: sueahrenhold -at- ameritech -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 11:04:55 -0700

I cannot believe that I am actually standing up and saying, hey, Word can
be pretty good (I go back to Word 1.1, when it wasn't), but here goes:
I'm currently authoring in a Word environment with Doc-to-Help.
Doc-to-Help includes a very nice set of macros that support conditional
text, and I really have very little trouble producing all the
documentation I need doing my authoring in Word.
I should say that I am also quite experienced in FrameMaker, so I'm not
just talking out of my ear.

For me, there are two tricks: One is that nobody else ever gets to use my
machine, and when somebody sends me a file, I never cut and paste anything
that was created on another machine without moving it to Notepad to take
out all bizarre, engineer-induced formatting.
And I am really rigid about always using all my styles and about managing
my templates.
But you have to do that in FrameMaker, if you want to use WebWorks or any
other plug-in.
And, I'm not telling people that I have to have a special program to
produce the documents that I need.
Ok, I'm standing next to the wall. Commence firing.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com