Re: Multi-purpose / Single source

Subject: Re: Multi-purpose / Single source
From: "T.W. Smith" <techwordsmith -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 18:03:48 -0500

I know what you are saying, but I think we disagree.

For an XML-base approach or for a FM+WWP-based approach, the same
concepts have to be grasped: identifying content and tagging it.

Beyond that, FM+WWP offers a GUI-based environment that's oriented
towards technical writing with, really, no programming nor database
management needed.

XML does not offer such a wrapper.

But, I would say XML is a better way to go from a
professional-development, get-ready-for-the-future, career-building
perspective; it's just that XML might be more expensive in learning
curve and maintenance than an employer needs.

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 15:48:38 -0600, David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:
> If the individual is *not* proficient with Frame and WebWorks now, the
> learning curve might be at least as difficult as a totally XML-based
> solution.
>
> It is difficult at times to recall the time and trouble spent in
> getting proficient with these tools. Of course, if you have already
> spent that time and trouble, the incremental work involved in doing
> this project would be correspondingly much less.
<snip>

======
T.

Remember, this is online. Take everything with a mine of salt and a grin.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com