Re: Splitting multi-line cell into multiple cells in Word (2002)

Subject: Re: Splitting multi-line cell into multiple cells in Word (2002)
From: HBacheler -at- aol -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 10:04:06 EST

Tom,

Here is an exercise that you could try to 'solve your problem.

I have use this a LOT. (In convert a DOS "DIR" file to a table).

In Word: (I have Word 2000, Office 2000 Small Business Edition)
You should be in the "VIEW, NORMAL" mode during this exercise. After you
are satisfied with your the look of your 'table' you can then go to VIEW, LAYOUT

1. Open the .txt file
2. Determine the division that is most common throughout the file
(separator on the text line)
3. Click on 'EDIT, Replace'
4. Put the cursor in the first field, and click
5. In the First field, enter the 'space'
6. Put the cursor in the second field, and click
7. Click on MOREv
8. Click on SPECIALv
9. Select 'Tab character'
10. The second field now contains ^t (Uppercase 6, lower case t)
11. Select 'FIND NEXT' (This will find the 'next' "space character")
12. Select either the REPLACE, or REPLACE ALL
(REPLACE ALL (brute force) might be too catastrophic a change.)
13. Edit the result

(When you are done with Step 12 (either selective REPLACE or REPLACE
ALL))
Eliminate TABs, or insert TABs, as needed
You can adjust the tab stops by the use of Format, Tabs.
You will create a 'table' (roughly)

14. Select the information you have modified "CTRL,A".

When you are satisfied with the look of the "table" that you
have created.

15. Click on TABLE in the toolbar
16. Click on CONVERT
17. Click on TEXT TO TABLE
18. At the bottom of the pop-up SEPARATE TEXT AT,
select the TABS radio button
Click on OK.
19. Your text table will have been converted to a WORD table.

You can review the table that was created by word and make adjustments.

Remember that the UNDO command can take you back to the 'text' table

You can then go through steps 13-19 to make your edits.

Of course, there may be extra spaces, double TABs, but you know how to
eliminate them while you are editing in the VIEW,NORMAL mode.

I have used this method of creating tables from text since Version 2.x of
Word. This also worked in WordPerfect, but the 'code view' was a bit different.

If I missed a step, or did not address something, forgive me.

Hope this helps you, or others who have the same problem.

Harry M. Bacheler, Jr.
Consultant

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com