Help with Outsourcing Tech Pubs

Subject: Help with Outsourcing Tech Pubs
From: Amico Italiano <tgr -at- lanminds -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 14:45:05 -0800

I recently posted to the list that my user education manager and a fellow tech writer were laid off in order to clear the way to outsource documentation for our legacy products to a tech pubs group to be created in India. Well, tomorrow our skeletal tech pubs group is meeting with the director of engineering services to begin plans to accomplish this over the next few months.

I was wondering if anyone on the list has had experience setting up a tech pubs department in India or somewhere else out of the country, and whether you can offer tips, hints, and suggestions for managing foreign-born staff remotely. What are some pitfalls to be avoided? Cultural issues to be aware of? Best practices? Thanks.

- t

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com