Re: Help with Outsourcing Tech Pubs

Subject: Re: Help with Outsourcing Tech Pubs
From: "Guy K. Haas" <guy -at- hiskeyboard -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 17:16:01 -0800

I'd second all of what David Neeley said. I work for a company that has had offices in San Jose and Pune/Poona for over 5 years. The boom there has caused an influx of novice writers just as ours did here in the 90s. It also has caused the same sort of job-jumping ours did; lots of folks with 8 month's experience 4 times, rather than 6 year's experience.

But the US does have schools that offer training, certification, even degrees in Technical Communication, and India does not (correct me if I'm out of date here, guys). Also, Silicon Valley uses a LOT of FrameMaker, and FrameMaker expertise (even significant EXPERIENCE with it) is pretty scarce in India.

Build community. Have regular conference calls. Arrange training, or mentoring. If you CAN, send a solid lead over there. Otherwise, bring one of THEM who has training skills over HERE to absorb all [s]he can and then take the skills back to train others.

--
Guy K. Haas
guy -at- hiskeyboard -dot- com | gkhaas -at- usa -dot- net

Amico Italiano wrote:

I was wondering if anyone on the list has had experience setting up a tech pubs department in India or somewhere else out of the country, and whether you can offer tips, hints, and suggestions for managing foreign-born staff remotely. What are some pitfalls to be avoided? Cultural issues to be aware of? Best practices? Thanks.

- t

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com