Re: Multi-purpose / Single source

Subject: Re: Multi-purpose / Single source
From: Mark Brownell <gizmotron -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 09:26:54 -0800

On Tuesday, January 4, 2005, at 07:58 AM, T.W. Smith wrote:

"Will, the conditional text enable quick rebranding?" Well, yes. But
it has to be set up first. And, conditional text is limited to about 6
conditions. FrameMaker variables will help, as well.

"How does conditional text affect frame -> Robohelp help creation?" It
won't. RoboHelp does not support FrameMaker's native format, nor does
it support FrameMaker's conditions. RoboHelp can import FrameMaker's
ASCII format, but RoboHelp is IMHO quite poorly suited to working with
FrameMaker content.

For what it's worth I'm waiting for my first posts to pass through the new subscriber's moderation process so that my first posts are not delayed. So if this post is already too old I apologize.

I just think this list is great. This thread has already caused me to want to add two features to my software I'm developing primarily for tech-writers. My software has passed the user stability test phase and at the same time has evolved to add the internet as a native portion of its capabilities.

Because my software is based on an extensible form of markup language while being the display platform at the same time I will be able to add a re-branding layer with a comprehensive find and replace feature so that easy markup manipulation will be possible. I will also add a full document as text markup data dump for exporting the raw information so that third-party batch-processors can make their own specific content manipulations. My software already has an import function that can import from data to support this.

This will not be easy because my markup language includes embedded images for each page. This binary image data is protected by base64 encoding. Never the less I believe this is a productivity requirement for my software to be useful so I must figure it out.

I will only talk about this new free to distribute software if asked about it. I have been working on this for over five years on my own. The user manual is not ready for easy use by beginners. I wrote it to people that already understand markup languages like HTML, XHTML, and XML. I'll be working on the new manual and more file examples before I add these feature upgrades.

Thank you very much for the great ideas,

Mark

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com