RE: Asking SMEs?

Subject: RE: Asking SMEs?
From: "Sherry Michaels" <sherry -dot- michaels -at- docntrain -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 11:09:25 -0700

Tony asks << Whats going on here? Maybe cars are so complex that it is
beyond human ability to reach consensous on things like if and when fuel
injector cleaner is required? Hardly. The more likely case is that my
dealer and mechanics are varying the prescribed maintenance schedule
according to their cash flow needs. The more cash they need, the tighter my
recommended preventative maintenance schedule becomes.
(As far as Chevy customer service, they may just be playing CYA.)>>

I experienced a similar issue with Chrysler for my Jeep. The net result of
weeks on nonsense was that the manual given to the mechanics was out of date
for correct "torque" specifications.

That's all; no turf issue, nor an issue of revenue. It was just a
communications problem, probably a process problem. It caused me, a
customer, considerable grief. I sold my Jeep and never bought another
Chrysler product.

Underneath a lot of seemingly difficult SME behaviors are processes and
management practices that undermine our jobs. Generally, I've found it's not
really the SME at all. Further, when management is alerted that adverse
behaviors are being caused, they generally try to fix it. The problem is the
law of "unintended consequences," on the face of seemingly "perfect"
policies and procedures. At the root of it all is "communications." Good
logic for our existence, isn't it? :)

Sherry
Sherry Michaels
President