User's Guide vs. Online Help

Subject: User's Guide vs. Online Help
From: "McKinney, Suzanne" <smckinney -at- eei1 -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 12:22:54 -0500

What's the best resource for good definitions of user documentation,
such as for user's guides vs. online help? I'm trying to put together a
presentation for my CEO that defines these and differentiates them
because some improvements are needed in what we develop and provide to
our clients (IMHO). It's the old problem of taking a printed user's
guide, making it a PDF, and calling it online help. I do have my own
ideas, but I'm hoping for something to back them up, like why it's
important in terms of usability to have context-sensitive or embedded
help for users built into the application.

Please email me directly as well as on the list, as I'm on digest.
Thanks!

Sue McKinney
703-313-5137
smckinney -at- eei1 -dot- com