ISO Suggestions on Reasonably Priced Web Hosting Companies

Subject: ISO Suggestions on Reasonably Priced Web Hosting Companies
From: Steven Oppenheimer <Steven -at- OppenheimerCommunications -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 14:41:40 -0500

Okay, I know this has been asked before from time to time, but I did not save previous replies...

Right now I'm paying $25/month to have my domain hosted. I see a lot of services which provide much cheaper hosting -- GoDaddy.com offers hosting as cheap as around $6/month. But I want to be sure the company is reputable and reliable. (I Googled GoDaddy.com, and there were complaints that GoDaddy hosts a lot of spammers. That doesn't necessarily mean I would not get good service from them, but I prefer to deal with a company this is wholly reputable.)

Plus, I'm a bit suspicious. The cheapest I see from other Web hosting companies is $15/month, and most are about $20 for their basic service, so I'm wondering how GoDaddy can pull this off at $6/month.

Anyway, here is what I need:
1. About 50 Meg of storage space.
2. Something that lets me track how many hits I get on each page. (For example, GoDaddy.com charges $4/month, plus for another $2 they give you some kind of report that tracks how many hits on each page, who is hitting the pages, how long they stay there, etc.)
3. I want reliable, quality 24/7 phone support. That's one thing with my current ISP service, the phone support is excellent.

Other than that, I don't need a whole lot -- for example, I don't need CGI or ASP support (except in-so-far as those are required to track hits). I'm not doing any fancy e-commerce, I just need one site for my tech writing Web site (www.OpComm.com), and another site for my book (www.STCYC.com). (Currently I have free hosting for the book, but the downside is the service can't track hits to the site.)

Anyway, any comments on GoDaddy.com, or can anyone recommend another Web hosting company?

Steven Oppenheimer, M.A.
Oppenheimer Communications
Technical and Business Writing: From Complexity To Clarity (SM)
Steven -at- OpComm -dot- com www.OpComm.com (301) 468-9233

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com