Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question - Ratios

Subject: Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question - Ratios
From: James Barrow <vrfour -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 12:49:10 -0800

On the second day of my current contract I was promoted to Functional Analyst. At least I think it was a promotion:^) When I tell my friends about this, 'functional analyst' is not the first words that come to mind when I say 'FA.'

After four months I'm still having a difficult time qualifying exactly what a Functional Analyst is and does. I write SUCs and business rules, and I also develop screen flows, screen specs and screen shots. It seems to me that this isn't really a different job at all. It's more like someone slid the controls a little to the left so that my tech writing duties now include some development.

The upside of this is that, when I get back to doing only the documentation in March, I will have a much better understanding of what our application does, and will be able to provide better documentation. That, and the fact that I have one more job title to add to my resume.

As to how all of this related to the question below, my cross-training has blurred the lines between who is a developer and who is a tech writer. Since I developed the documentation standards as I learned to be an FA, some of the developers started to do tech writing for the smaller components of the bigger application that we're working on.

This has helped us meet our tight deadlines, but it would be funny to get every employee in a room and ask them who has done tech writing. 80% of the people in the room would raise their hand.

- Jim

On Jan 16, 2005, at 7:41 PM, TechComm Dood wrote:

What is the ratio of writers to developers where you work?
* Other/None of the above

To be honest, I have no idea. We have departments for Development and
Documentation, but not all Development people are always developers,
and not all Documentation people are always writers. In fact, on the
last major project I worked on, I was functioning as a developer more
than a technical writer.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com