Re: Styles in Word 2003

Subject: Re: Styles in Word 2003
From: cfedruk -at- pobox -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 12:31:54 -0700

Hi Amy,
This seems to be a new thing with Word 2003, and there's a great solution
for it:

1. Open your MS Word document, then select View->Task Pane. (The task pane
will open up on the right side of the window, so resize the window if
necessary.)

2. At the top of the task pane, select Styles & Formatting. Your styles
organizer will open up, most likely showing all those annoying modified
Body Text styles.

3. Click on one of the messed-up paragraphs. The "Body Text + Whatever"
style will show up in the upper box of the styles organizer.

4. Right-click the "Body Text +" style name and choose "Select all
instances"
5. Scroll down in the styles organizer and click the plain ol' "Body Text"
style. All of the messed-up paragraphs will revert back to the Body Text
style, so THEN...

6. Right-click on the "Body Text" style name and choose "Modify..." then
go ahead and re-set the paragraph formatting from there. (Be sure to check
the "Add to Template" box so that your changes will populate throughout
the document.)

In the future, use step # 6 to re-set margins or indents or whatever, and
set up additional paragraph styles if this change shouldn't apply to ALL
"Body Text" paragraphs.

Hope that gets you started... check out the Microsoft MVP site
word.MVPs.org and look for "Creating a Template" for all kinds of neat
tricks to avoid this problem in the future.
Good luck!
Chris

> We just updated to Office 2003. Now, when I attempt to modify the
> margin of a style, Word just creates a new style with my modification
> tacked on, like so:
>
> WAS: Body Text
> ACTION: I slide a block of text over to move the left margin a little
> to the right.
> NOW: The style for the block is called "Body Text + Before: 0.26"
> with a rather exotic symbol after it. The original "Body Text" still
> exists as an option, but with the original formatting.
>
> I am finding it impossible to just have my regular styles, and modify
> them as I go. Instead, Word keeps creating new ones, adding on with a
> plus sign whatever change I made. The styles drop-down list is now
> such a mess that it's all pointless.
>
> Help & thanks,
> Amy P.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com