Re: partitioning

Subject: Re: partitioning
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 09:57:39 -0800

mlist -at- safenet-inc -dot- com wrote:

Should I anticipate any problem if I de-frag (been using this system since
October), then use SuSE Linux's setup tool to create a bunch of partitions
-- some for Windows and some for a new Linux install?

And install a boot manager like grub or lilo, of course.

You should also install all Windows operating systems before any Linux ones. I'm not sure from what you say if you were planning to have multiple Windows OSes, but I thought I should mention this point just in case.

I'd be interested in knowing what you've heard, because, in general, computers with Windows XP and some form of Linux are very common. I've run them for years myself, and never had any problem because of the multiple OS. If I strain, I wonder whether an anti-virus program would read the boot manager as a virus, but I really can't think of any other problem that is even remotely possible.

--
Bruce Byfield
http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com