RE: Why don't more job interviews use writing tests?

Subject: RE: Why don't more job interviews use writing tests?
From: "Giordano, Connie" <connie -dot- giordano -at- twcable -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 09:30:10 -0500

I'm fascinated that this topic has come back up on the list without the
usual "how dare you test me" diatribes (so far anyway).

We use a writing test here, I took it when I interviewed for a
contracting position, and everyone I've interviewed since has had to
take it. It's relatively simple for any competent communicator--it
covers a tiny bit of tools, a lot of editing and rewrite,
decision-making on the best way to present information (e.g. creating a
simple table from raw data), and organizing information.

Our test in no way replaces an interview, review of a portfolio and
reference checking... But it has successfully weeded out those who
cannot actually write coherently, or wilt under pressure. We give it
after the initial screen interview by HR, and after a joint interview
with me and my manager.

Writing samples are fine, but I have had instances where they were
stolen... Interviews are great, but there a few really fine actors out
there who can ace an interview but not do a lick of work... References
have value, but can be somewhat limited. So if it's important to get
the right candidate into a position, then it's important to do all four.

I suspect that one of the issues that occurs between posting a position
and actually hiring a candidate is in not working with HR to identify
your requirements, for both the technical and interpersonal skills.
They have to screen out the totally inapprorpriate, and if you have not
discussed your needs, then it's a crapshoot as to what you will get.

My 2.5 cents for the day

Connie Giordano
Knowledge Management Supervisor
Time Warner Cable
7910 Crescent Executive Drive
Charlotte, NC 28217
Phone: 704-731-3755
Mobile: 704-957-8450
AIM: rightwords43

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney