RE: Dress for Success - Conclusion

Subject: RE: Dress for Success - Conclusion
From: "Dana Worley" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:20:48 -0700

On Wednesday, February 09, 2005, Barbara Philbrick wrote:

> This thread has interested me from a bit of a different perspective.
> As a life-long nerd, I have never paid enough attention to matters of
> dress, and couldn't tell a Rolex from a Timex, let alone what kind of
> name is on the label of a suit. Do others really care that much?

I think the "fashion conscious" do. I worked as an assistant to the
CEO of a company for several years, and he was definitely tuned in
to whether someone was wearing a custom suit, the right width tie
defined by the current trend, where the length of the tie fell in
relation to the person's torso, quality of jewelry, etc.

I've had an interesting progression of "down-dressing" since I
started my career. When I worked under the CEO it was dresses
every day, and often suits if I had to be in meetings with the "big
guns". The next job was tech writer/engineering office manager and
I wore more casual dresses. When I first started working in my
current position, I had a hard time getting used to the fact that many
of the men were running around in shorts. We have one engineer
who I've never seen in anything other than overalls (except for
cycling clothes for his commute to work), and we're lucky if he
decides to honor us by putting his Tevas on before coming to a
meeting. :)

Myself, I'm an LL Bean gal ;)

Dana W.
feeling very comfy in jeans, sweat shirt, and tennies today (the
sweat shirt & tennies are a little dressed down from my usual wear,
but I just couldn't figure out what to put on this a.m....)

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com