Job offer?

Subject: Job offer?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 10:02:48 -0500

Shampa reports: <<Recently one of my friend got a job offer from a reputed IT company. They are asking him to submit original Passpot copy and original degree certificate. I never heard company's asking for originals.>>

Probably what they are really asking for is a _certified copy_ from the passport office of your friend's country and from the university that awarded the degree. I can't say whether this is standard, but it is increasingly likely to become one given the heightened security requirements in countries such as the U.S. If your friend will also be immigrating to a new country to accept the job, this is also probably part of the standard process by which the company applies for a work permit or visa.

This kind of ID is sometimes required for payment too. I recently had to provide my passport number to a Spanish client so that their accounts payable department could cut me a cheque. (Presumably a method of reducing the risk of international money laundering?) I confirmed with my local passport office that this was safe and acceptable before complying.

<<They said, they can only give him a offer letter, after he submits his Passport and degree certificate. But, once he joins the company he will get all his documents back.>>

If you're at all paranoid about this, make sure that your friend independently verifies the address where they'll be sending the certified copy. It's dimly possible that the original company moved to a new building and that the new tenant at that address is trying to perpetrate identity theft. But that's not a high risk on the whole.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca
www.geoff-hart.com

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com