Re: Value of our profession?

Subject: Re: Value of our profession?
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- alltel -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 09:49:52 -0500

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 09:13:53 -0500, Lee Hunter <leeghunter -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

But it would have been impractical to have someone verify every fact
in every ad. That's the advertiser's liability, not the magazine's.

Doesn't mean the publisher will prevail.

My father's weekly newspaper ran an ad concerning fluoridation of the
local water supply. I forget whether it was for or against. Someone
with an opposing viewpoint sued my father. Unfortunately, the way a
small-town weekly runs is that on press day everything is in orbit,
trying to get the paper ready for the time-slot on the press. And it's
really a one-man show. (He took one two-week vacation in 40 years.)
Press day was Wednesday. My father's court appearance was scheduled
for Wednesday. Guess which party to the lawsuit forgot to show up in
court and lost by default?

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com