Re: Is this really a tech writing job?

Subject: Re: Is this really a tech writing job?
From: "Damien Braniff" <Damien -dot- Braniff -at- asg -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 08:30:31 -0000

What's in a name? To a certain extent I'm not too bothered what they
call me as long as they pay me :-)
I've worked in various places over they years where the level of admin
went from zero to several full time admins/technical clerks. Where the
support existed then you made use of it (procedures generally in
place!). Where it wasn't then you did what needed doing.
When I was freelance I WAS the admin! In my current job, although it's a
large company, the Belfast office is new and has just 2 writers and the
developers. Those who drink tea/coffee take it in turns to arrange to
get the milk, order the coffee etc. Last week one of the developers sent
an email round that stationary was running low and asked for suggestions
as to what everyone might need - obviously not too bothered about being
seen as 'admin'. He saw it was needed and is doing something about it.
As to respect, I agree with what John and others have said - everyone is
due respect but professional respect has to be earned. There may be some
associated with being a 'professional' but that is soon lost of said
professional can't deliver

Damien
Damien Braniff | Technical Writer
damienb -at- asg -dot- com